The mission of Beecher School District 200-U is to provide a quality education to all students of the district so that they are able to contribute toward the betterment of society. The district will strive to encourage each student to achieve their greatest potential. Throughout the teaching process, the district shall emphasize democratic values and good citizenship.
High School – 538 Miller Street Beecher, IL
Junior High – 101 East Church Road Beecher, IL
Elementary School – 629 Penfield Street Beecher, IL
Welcome to Beecher, IL
Beecher is a small community located approximately forty miles directly south of Chicago. Traditionally the schools have high expectations, excellent attendance and achievement.
The first settlers from New England arrived in Washington Township during the 1850’s. The settlers arrived in this prairie on the news of a land grant funded by the Illinois Central Railroad. By 1857, most of the land was occupied by mainly German immigrants. T.L. Miller founded the village of Beecher in 1870; his plan was to begin breeding and raising Hereford cattle. Miller was also responsible for the naming of the village in honor of the preacher, Henry Ward Beecher. Railroad service to Chicago was completed in 1870, a depot was built, and thus Beecher’s future was assured.
Currently, with a population of 4,400, Beecher is experiencing a growth spurt. In the last five years, the village has experienced a significant increase in residential, commercial, and industrial development. Despite this growth, Beecher has remained a quiet and quaint village with country charm. Many businesses are still family owned and rely on local residents for their success.
The residents of the community have always held education in the highest regard. In the early 1900’s, a referendum was held to build the first school building, which was dedicated in 1907. Portions of this original building still stand at the site of the current elementary school.